[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes + abt some lightweight distros

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Tue May 8 09:45:22 PDT 2018

On the systems which have not chosen systemd.

Well Aaron there are full featured distributions like
PCLinuxOS64 with either Mate or KDE Plasma 5.12.5
which resisted the move to systemd.

There is also a smaller release called Porteus which
as far as I know has resisted systemd.  Remember
the compact distribution called Slax which started out
using Slackware repositories but then in later releases
switched to Debian.  I thought they should change
the name to "Little Debbie" but Porteus went to
the Slackware repositories.   It is available with a
variety of Desktop Management in the initial
download.  Porteus stands for Portable Linux.

<http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/porteus/x86_64/Porteus-v4.0>

Porteus-CINNAMON-v4.0-x86_64.iso    306M    29-Apr-2018 12:14
Porteus-KDE-v4.0-x86_64.iso    354M    29-Apr-2018 12:14
Porteus-LXDE-v4.0-x86_64.iso    274M    29-Apr-2018 12:10
Porteus-LXQT-v4.0-x86_64.iso    285M    29-Apr-2018 12:11
Porteus-MATE-v4.0-x86_64.iso    298M    29-Apr-2018 12:12
Porteus-OPENBOX-v4.0-x86_64.iso    269M    29-Apr-2018 12:12
Porteus-XFCE-v4.0-x86_64.iso

<http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/porteus/i586/Porteus-v4.0/>

Porteus-CINNAMON-v4.0-i586.iso    305M    29-Apr-2018 12:25
Porteus-KDE-v4.0-i586.iso    356M    29-Apr-2018 12:26
Porteus-LXDE-v4.0-i586.iso    270M    29-Apr-2018 12:22
Porteus-LXQT-v4.0-i586.iso    284M    29-Apr-2018 12:23
Porteus-MATE-v4.0-i586.iso    296M    29-Apr-2018 12:24
Porteus-OPENBOX-v4.0-i586.iso    267M    29-Apr-2018 12:21
Porteus-XFCE-v4.0-i586.iso

     And if you go to the top of this tree you will even find obsolete
versions
of Porteus for the i486.

     So I am going to get the KDE version of this release to try out
and will be happy to hear from anyone who tries out the other
versions

     Bobbie Sellers