[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun May 6 15:00:39 PDT 2018

Hi LUGers,
         Arrived at the Cafe Enchante by about 10:35 AM and setup the
  Dell E6420 without problems then rebooted into Helium which is
a rather minimal interface aand which is very liight on memory
use.<https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation.html#live-cddvdusb-key-method>
is a good start for people interested in this.  Previous releases were
Hydrogen and Deuterium.
        Mike showed up first and I was glad to see someone else.
He spent his time reading and exchanging repartee with others in
attendance.  He left shortly after 12 Noon.
         Ken and his wife, Maestro, John S showed up in rapid succession.
         John S. tried several of my late distributions but it was not
able to boot
from disk or Flash Drive.
         Ken was working on a member's laptop but was unable to get results
and it was passed on to Aaron. Then after that he sat down next to Jackie
B. and attempted to help her with the Ubuntu on her Toshiba.

     Jackie B. showed with problems playing some DVDs and a problem
with a new external disk drive. I hope she will look for help with
the Video in the Ubuntu forums but my PCLinuxos64 could not play
the same disk.  She got some advice and help from Ken I believe.
The problem with the hard disk is that she was given the wrong
cable with the smallest connector(USB C-Type) which only provided,
  power to the device, which needed a USB 3.0 Type B jack
<https://www.cablestogo.com/learning/connector-guides/usb>

     Aaron came in very late but was there to get back the modem
he had loaned me and to pick up the Bunsen Labs 32 bit version
of their late release of Helium based in Debian.
     After 1200 Noon Jim S. showed up talking mostly to Jackie and to Ken.

     1245 the meeting started to breakup and after I got my stuff packed
away I got a nice Linksys router from John S.  who was parked on 25th
Street.  Due to a slight injury to my leg I was slow getting back to the
Cafe.  Jim went after his car and gave myself and Aaron a ride back to
Hyde and Post where Aaron wanted to check out the Goodwill.  We
left one member still working at his laptop.

     Anyone attending the meeting is free to correct my omissions or
incomprehension of the activities and asked to do so asap so that the
membership not in attendance will not be mis-informed any longer
than necessary.

     The next meeting will be on Monday 21 May in the evening
at the Cafe Enchante.   I intend to pur up my usual notice
on May 14th.  Ubuntu Kylin and Deepin will be available
I hope for comparison purposes.    These are both Asian
distributions one specifically for/by Chinese literate persons.

      Happy Mothers' Day to all the Mothers and their families.

     I don't know if Ramadan is significant to  any users but
I also don't know how to express goodwill about this
sort of event.  Perhaps a successful Ramadan?

Celebrate Armed Forces Day if you care to so so.

     Ah well may the wind ever be at your back and the
road never rise up so fast it hits you in the face.

     Bobbie Sellers