[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Sunday, May 6, 2018

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Apr 30 11:56:18 PDT 2018

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
and every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a
high for the year so far of 7 members.   If you have a
problem come along and maybe we can help but if
not we can usually find someone who can.
     If anyone wants a copy of any of the distributions
mentioned below please let me know ASAP.

   Fresh distributions in our library:

Bionic Beaver! released by Canonical on April 26.
All the iso files were check-summed using what
ever method the distributor permits.

     Ubuntu 18.04 LTS desktop, using Gnome 3.28 in
64 bit version, slow boot and,  I, a very casual user,
can barely see the difference from Unity.  UEFI offers
choice of Live, Install and Check Disk.  Login page
shows the Beaver obviously at work.   The change
from Unity is no revolution at all.

ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64.iso
ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-i386.iso

     Ubuntu Mate desktop 18.04 in 64 and 32 bit versions.
      The 32 bit version boots much faster skipping a Grub
  menu but offering the choice with a nearly complete
background loaded of Live, Test Media or Installation.

     Mate to me looks like the best virtual desktop with
Caja a far better file manager than the item that comes
with Gnome.
The menu has sound effects as you move down the list.
Several new looks are available if you configure the
appearance. Nearly all the tools a general user might
need with a handy copy-able digital clock letting you
copy time and date.

Also got the Lubuntu LTS in i386 and amd64 versions
lubuntu-18.04-desktop-i386.iso
lubuntu-18.04-desktop-amd64.iso

     Both booted up nicely on the Dell E6420 and are very
nice.  Aside from the more text processors I prefer
the PCFM is duplicating a lot of the Dolphin.  It has
the silly Software Manager that asks "Lets Go Shopping"
but it also has Synaptic and I found that a late version
of Thunderbird is listed there, the Firefox included is
the latest version released to the rolling release I use.

     Hope to have Fedora Wordstation 64 bit by meeting time
as it is supposed to be released tomorrow.

     On Sunday 29 April the new Distrowatch Newsletter
was out and it has a review of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
<https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20180430>

Also of note in Distrowatch Weekly is a notice
about Julie's informative drawings at
<https://drawings.jvns.ca/>
Now I have been trying to read a manga
about microprocessors and it is a bit of a
job to even stay interested but Julie's
drawings seem to work for me.  They
are simple drawings but go deep.

     Have a happy May Day!