[sf-lug] Notes from the SF-LUG meeting of Monday November 25, 2016

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Nov 24 00:54:03 PST 2016

Quoting aaronco36 (aaronco36 at linuxwaves.com):

> A. Maestro and I were _both_ avidly working on our GRUB 2x
> issues with bootup.

I earnestly recommend considering using VM technology for experimenting
with multiple OSes, ratther than trying to manage inevitably complex
multiboot setups.  (VirtualBox is an obvious choice of virtualisation
software, or Xen, or KVM, or VMware, etc.)

VM (virtual machine) technology strikes me as, on balance, the best
solution for most such scenarios, notably excepting:

1.  I don't have enough total RAM to support host + guest OSes plus a
virtualistaion layer.

2.  I need some/all of my additional OSes to have direct hardware
support for high-performance/gaming/other reasons.

Second the strong recommendation of extlinux.  BTW, Akkana, the parent
Syslinux project does have UEFI support, though there are predictable
obstacles related to code-signing.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/syslinux#Limitations_of_UEFI_Syslinux

grub2 is awful bloatware, and always will be.

(Don't want to risk a physical machine's OS trying out a new bootloader?
Understandable:  That's one of the many use-cases for VM software as a
test platform.)

> IMHO, don't see a compelling need to use Bodhi 4.x and its
> Moksha desktop given the easy capability of using the
> lightweight window managers (Openbox, Fluxbox, jwm, IceWM...)
> on Slackware and Debian Stretch.

I applaud the sentiment of favouring lightweight window managers, but
just wanted to say that I think Moksha Desktop is pretty neat!