[sf-lug] Notes from the SF-LUG meeting of Monday November 25, 2016

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Wed Nov 23 17:47:49 PST 2016

aaronco36 writes:
> A. Maestro and I were _both_ avidly working on our GRUB 2x
> issues with bootup. [ ... more details on the grub2 problem ]

Sounds like you have a handle on what's going on, but I'll just
comment that this insistence of grub2 on having one distro (usually
whichever distro was most recently installed) own the grub2 boot
files for the whole system is what drove me away from grub2.
It was frustrating since grub1 worked so well for multi-boot
systems with a shared /boot partition.

I ended up uninstalling grub2 and using extlinux, which worked very
nicely for older systems, though I confess I still haven't switched
to it on the one UEFI system I own, so I can't personally vouch for
it under UEFI. Under extlinux you can have a separate /boot
partition which you control, so you won't have one distro
overwriting another distro's boot entries without asking.

        ...Akkana