[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting of Monday 19 September 2016

GoOSSBears acohen36 at linuxwaves.com
Wed Sep 21 13:54:14 PDT 2016

Quoting Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com>
>>   6:40 PM Aaron showed up & he had been having
>> a problem getting updates for his Anti-X distribution.
>> Anti-X is built on top of Debian and he was expecting
>> to get updates that had not been coming through.
>>  Well if Aaron or Jim have any remarks to
>> correct mis-perceptions on my part I am sure
>> we will hear from them shortly.

Will gladly oblige with several additions.
AntiX is based upon Debian -- as noted above --
however version antiX-16_386-full has several other things that are
fairly unique.

1. As described within [1], antiX uses Debian Jessie Stable *without" systemd. Since Debian Jessie was updated within just the last several days[2], there was apparently still much traffic while I was trying to hit a few of the major Debian repos for the antiX updates on Monday.

2. As we were discussing antiX, the subject came up about systemd's integration
(some say "takeover") of most of the Linux distros' init systems and dependencies.
This immediately hearkened back to Bobbie S's [3] and Rick M's [4][5][6] relevant comments here over four months ago here about Devuan and other systemd-free efforts.

3. Going from the systemd init itself, I progressed to briefly talking about GNOME's systemd integration, and the discussion then settled for awhile on the differences between a fullblown Desktop Environment (DE) containing its own applets all-together-now vs a Window Manager (WM) not containing its own unique applets.

4. Finally and IIRC, Bobbie S enthusiastically mentioned her preference(s) for the K DE and its Dolphin, KOffice, and other K-applets. I mentioned my preferences for using either lightweight DE's such as XFCE or else often using WM's (in antiX and other distros) together with piecemeal applications as I feel the need.

IMHO and as my own generalization, Mageiea, Mandriva, Linux Mint, and a bunch of other major Desktop Environment-based distros usually take the all-inclusive approach to incorporating a whole bunch of default applications upon installation, whereas certainly Linux From Scratch, Arch Linux, and Slackware Linux take much more of a step-by-step DIY approach in the extreme to installing DE's, WM's, kernels, applications, firmware/non-firmware drivers ......etc.

antiX, while minimalist, is more in the middle.

-A

Refs:
[1]http://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-16/FAQ/index.html
[2]https://www.debian.org/News/2016/20160917