[sf-lug] SF-LUG met on Sun 2016-05-01 (Several distros on MayDay)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon May 2 13:22:53 PDT 2016

Quoting GoOSSBears (acohen36 at linuxwaves.com):

> I myself spent the little time I was at Cafe Enchante
> running SHA256 "checksums" on the newly-released
> Devuan[03] Jessie 1.0.0 distro ISO beta versions I
> previously downloaded from [04].

Wow, they made it to beta.  Seemed like that might never happen.

I'm still not convinced they've yet accomplished anything that cannot
easily be achieved by just installing Debian Jessie and just picking and
pinning your preferred init.  They apparently haven't even built into
their default installation one of the credible alternatives to udev,
and I don't know if they even package any of them.

If your distro's value proposition is 'We're exactly like Debian, except we
blacklist the systemd and systemd-sysv packages, install
sysvinit-core by default, and add our own repos as preferred package
sources', the obvious question is why fork the entire distribution just
to carry out what amounts to a small package tweak.

> As an FYI, that hotsauce shop I mentioned at the
> meetup for we interested chileheads is online
> at [12] and their only storefront is in Berkeley[13].
> Carefully note: I must duly warn any of you of even
> _thinking_ about purchasing the intense Carolina
> Reaper chile pepper[14]!!

I'm personally of the view that anything much hotter than a habanero is
not food but rather a special effect, and so that's the hottest sort I
grow in my garden.

I've made this sauce from it.  It's really good:
http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/habanero-hot-sauce/

Carolina Reaper is the latest, last I heard, in a race to breed the
fruit with the highest capsicum content possible, edging out previous
record holders (and close relatives) Bhut Jolokia ghost pepper, Infinity
chili, Naga Viper, and Trinidad Scorpion.

http://www.bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/trends-news/article/eat-worlds-hottest-chiles
http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/scoville-scale/

200k Scoville units for a Habanero?  Sure, sounds delicious. But, ten
times as hot for a Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper?  No, that's not food;
that's a munition.

(Note:  I'm amused to see, and hear, habañero, which is incorrect.
The word is from the placename 'La Habana', or as we say in English
Havana.  Thus, no tilde.  See also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperforeignism )