[sf-lug] Meeting notes from Monday December 19, 2016

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Wed Dec 21 08:58:09 PST 2016

     Hi LUGers,

         The last meeting of the year was small but good.
I got to the Cafe Enchante about 5:45 PM,  Setup was
without problems and was done by 6 PM.

     6:15 PM Aaron showed up.  He brought the Book of
Audacity along which is a thick manual for Audacity.
His intent is to use it to work on files, recording, mixing
and mastering music files.  It has been authored or
compiled by Carla Schroder.  He picked up his copy at the
SFPL I believe.  He was also hoping to find John S. to finish
paying for the new netbook he acquired from John.  The
Book of Audacity is available through Amazon and is
published by No Starch Press.

     6:25 PM Jim Stockford showed up.   He seemed to be
enjoying the discussion of Void and related matter that
took up the most of meeting.

     6:30 PM Antonio, a user of Void Linux showed up to
enlighten us as to the capabilities of this extremely
lean and flexible system which he customizes using
Corgi scripts.   Actually he had been waiting for the
meeting but not really looking for it as he feared he
might be the only attendee.
     As he explained the system to the rest of us, Jim
especially raised questions around graphic display
software, display managers. compositors, window
managers and desktop environments.

     Jim then raised questions about network security
and that went into remarks about routers, installing
pfSense Linus on routers or running it in a virtual
machine, in either case running Snort on top of it to
see who is knocking at your ports.

     Antonio was the life of the meeting.
     But 8 PM neared so we packed up our equipment
and Jim gave us rides to our respective destinations.

     As always if I have left out anything or if anyone
has additional comments to make in correction or explication
please let us hear about on the mailing list ASAP.

     The very next meeting will be on Sunday, January 1.
2016.  Cafe Enchante will be open that day (I having checked
on that before we left the cafe).

     Regular reminder of the next meeting will be out on
Monday December 26, 2016.

     Thanks for your attention.

     Bobbie Sellers aka
     bliss "running fast and light" on PCLinuxOS KDE 2016.03-kernel 4.8.9