[sf-lug] Sunday Meeting Notes 2017-09-03(a)

acohen36 acohen36 at SDF.ORG
Tue Sep 5 10:13:54 PDT 2017

Quoting Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> from [01]:

> Before I could begin to work on that about 11:00 AM Aaron
> showed up and started to setup.
> Aaron had several disks and a magazine to return to me.
..
..
> Any additions or corrections by the attending members
> are of course welcome.

Sure, here are some "additions or corrections by the attending members".

1. The magazine I returned to Bobbie S was the Issue 199 / June 2017
edition of Linux Magazine. FWIW, my key interest in this edition was Klaus
Knopper's 'Elective Surgery - The "removing systemd" experiment'[02]. As I
didn't and don't wish to pay Linux Magazine for their fine articles, I
hand-copied the article's end-references -- yeppers, people like me
_still_ jot down pen-on-paper handwritten notes! ;-D  I found that Klaus
K's methods, results and thoughts apropos of removing systemd were
by-and-large similar to those of the 'Without Systemd' Wiki[03], Rick M's
'Debian 8 "Jessie" OpenRC Conversion'[04], Rick M's more extensive and
background writing on systemd from various related posts [05][06], and the
LinuxQuestions.org link on 'More systemd creep and a script to spot
it'[07].

2. Bobbie S mentioned that the latest DistroWatch Weekly[08] came out with
a great deal of news. One of DistroWatch distro pieces of news is that
with the release of the new Manjaro 17.03, that version "is also likely to
be the last version of Manjaro Linux to support 32-bit computers."[09].
So much for maestro's suggestions at [10] and [11] (references [03] and
[04] as well) on trying out Manjaro and making it as "systemd-free" as
possible :-/

3. I posted much earlier this year about low-cost USB flash drives for
"live" media booting [12]. It turns out that the low-cost and flaky USB
flash drive that Daniel G was diagnosing at the August 6th SF-LUG
meeting[13] was not alone in its "flakiness". The remaining two USB flash
drives in that particular 3-pack of minimally-identifiable Emtec drives
were _also_ flaky to the point of being effectively useless for me. Thus I
discarded them. FWIW to others, I've had much better success using more
reknown brands of budget low-capacity USB 2.0 flash drives such as SanDisk
and Lexar, although of course YMMV.

4. I brought along with me one of the small laptops so to that which I
brought to the May 1st, 2016 SF-LUG meeting[14]. The default installed
hard-drive has Debian stretch/stable and on another hard drive that I
brought with this laptop, I had 32-bit Manjaro 17.02 installed. Attempted
to do a roundabout Ethernet-less method of gathering the right Manjaro
WiFi drivers using the hd with Debian stretch, then transferring them to a
USB drive, and then copying them to the replaced hd with Manjaro
installed. While doing so, Ken and/or someone else made some pun about
someone getting "banged", and a completely out-of-context light went off
that ArchBang[15][16] -- based on the same Arch Linux that Manjaro is
based upon -- actually _is _ a live boot distro that I could use to get
the correct WiFi drivers onto the Manjaro install w/o having to resort to
using an Ethernet connection. The installed Manjaro has LXDE and ArchBang
has the same Openbox WM that I am familiar with via Crunchbang[17]. So
I've downloaded ArchBang and will probably use one of the good,
inexpensive, low-capacity USB flash drives [12] for the above purpose.

That particular small laptop doesn't "have enough total RAM to support
host + guest OSes plus a virtualistaion layer" as Rick M wrote at[18], so
IMHO it's a good use-case scenario for a multiboot install of another OS
_besides_ Manjaro -- although I myself didn't like the Bodhi Linux
Moksha's "look and feel" after having at least tried it (my personal
preference; to each his/her own, right?) As a semi-related aside, some of
the various Vbox VDI's in osboxes.org that Bobbie S mentioned within her
post[19] are now becoming fairly out-of-date.
Would probably consider reverting back to installing Devuan[20] onto the
second hd with the current Manjaro soon after Manjaro drops its support
for i686 this November[21]. I'd hope by that time that maybe Devuan would
come out with a more updated release than its current mainstream Devuan
Jessie 1.0.0 stable (LTS)[22].

-a