[sf-lug] Debian 10 out on ...

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Sun Jul 7 16:48:22 PDT 2019

Ended up being in SF all-day today instead of in Berkeley, where another
Linux event was being held today [01]

Six of us were at Cafe Enchante for today's meeting [02] including Jim S.
Jim S and perhaps some others indicated that discussion regarding the
thread 'sf-lug.com disabled...' [03][04][05] should probably continue
online.  WiFi was way okay at Cafe Enchantay (<G>).

Rick M wrote at [06]:
> Again, I have to ask:  Why not favour the unofficial images
> that differ only in adding back the omitted non-free
> firmware BLOBs?
> https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware/

Yep, similar to the link I previously provided within [07], namely [08].
IMHO, the biggest advantage of having those "omitted non-free firmware
BLOBS" available, as described within [09], is for those times that
inevitably arise that I'm either troubleshooting or installing Debian on
that netbook or laptop that has that non-recognized internal WiFi adapter
(::cough cough:: _Broadcom_ adapters :cough cough:: :-< )

AAMOF, after downloading the latest 10.0.0 Buster stable [10] multiarch
netinstall image including firmware from [08] and performing the standard
steps to verify the authenticity of this downloaded Debian CD ISO as
described in [11], I then dd'd this image to several purple-colored USB
sticks which I then offered to both Bobbie S and Jim S at today's meeting.

FYI, for the very few who may not realize this, one can update one's
10.0.0 Buster stable machine following the original installation by
performing the /etc/apt/sources.list archive edits as more fully described
in [12] Slightly more advanced Debian users may also eventually decide to
rather have a mixed partial Buster-stable and partial Bullseye-testing
[13] system, so these users may then wish to follow the steps at [14] for
Apt-Pinning of both Buster and Bullseye entries in the /etc/apt files --
this Apt-Pinning guide for Beginners brught courtesy of Rik M within his
useful Debian FAQ webpage [15].

-A