[sf-lug] 2018-04-16 SF-LUG meeting notes + my additions

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Wed Apr 18 16:15:35 PDT 2018

Quoting Bobbie  Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com>:

> A few minutes later Aaron C. came in and had several
> items including a modem Siemens SpeedStream 4100 ADSL+
> which he has kindly loaned me. Later he bought the
> mini Dell tower from John S.

On that "mini Dell tower from John S" ...

Yep, upgraded the RAM on the Optiplex 780 RAM I purchased from John S to
8GB. 64bit Slackware and 64bit Mint perform quite well with the BIOS flash
I performed on this unit. It stands to reason that Optiplex 780 as
currently configured performs _much_ better than the Optiplex 745 I
previously purchased from John S several years ago. Can now use the latest
systemd-free Devuan in a Mint-hosted virtualbox just like I did ~2yrs ago
(see ref [01]).

Would also mention that at Monday night's mtg, Bobbie S graciously
provided me a bootable optical disk of ArchLabs Linux, which is 64bit
_only_ (see ref [02]). Note that while there are still 32bit community
variants of Arch Linux still in active development (see ref [03]), the
vast majority or maybe even all of these 32bit Arch versions are
systemd-based -- this somewhat goes back to a discussion of systemd-free
versions of Arch from awhile back (see ref [04]).

Quoting Bobbie  Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com>:

> Jim S. came in about 6:30 PM,  far earlier than we had hoped.
>
> A discussion ensued of which routers could use Open-Wrt or
> DD-Wrt software or other efforts to replace the firmware of
> the routers with a more secure version of Linux.
> How such replacement could be accomplished was a matter
> of some discussion as well.  These efforts are based on
> Linksys WRT54G model router which used Open Source
> software thus making it accessible to developers originally
> but they are trying to get more routers supported.
> The hardware requirement of more than 32 megabytes of
> ram is eliminating a lot of older cheaper devices.
> Read more about the effort at <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DD-WRT>.

Just a reminder very much related to this that Daniel G and Rick M had a
recent discussion of OpenWrt router firmware (see ref [05], [06], and the
end of [07]).  At the beginning of this year, the OpenWrt project made the
announcement that OpenWrt is merging with LEDE (see ref [08]). Directly
related to Bobbie S's warning of "32 megabytes of ram is eliminating a lot
of older cheaper devices" plus Daniel G's and Rick M's posts on routers'
16MB RAM and use of 2.4 kernels (see refs [09] thru [13]), the new
OpenWrt/LEDE firmware are now supporting much fewer devices.
Of special note are OpenWrt/LEDE's "4/32" warnings (see refs [14] and
[15]) for devices with 4MB or less flash and 32MB or less RAM.

While there are many routers -- 1068 at last count -- still supported by
fairly-recent versions of pre-LEDE OpenWrt and OpenWrt/LEDE itself (see
ref [16]), even more routers are _still_ supported by DD-DRT (see ref
[17]). Even considering Daniel G's and Rick M's security warnings about
2.4 and 2.6 kernels in refs [09] thru [13], sometimes the few firmware
options available for routers of <4MB flash and having 16MB RAM are DD-WRT
firmware with these unsatisfactory limitations.

At Monday night's meeting, I brought in the working Linksys(Cisco)
E1000v2.1 WiFi router I mentioned I would try to bring in my last post
(see refs [18] and [19]). John S brought in his working Linksys WRT54Gv2.0
and Linksys WRT54GLv1.1 (see respective refs [20] and [21]).

(((
Sidenote question....
Can anyone guess WITHOUT looking what the identity of the manufacturer
is/was for the chips on all three of these above routers??

Giveaway hint: Heaps of condemnation were put on this particular chip
manufacturer and its policies within refs [22],[23], the end of ref [24],
and refs [25],[26], [27] previously submitted by Todd H, maestro, Rick M,
and Akkana P.
)))

In any case, all three of the low-end WiFi routers John S and I brought in
Monday night are supported by DD-WRT (see ref [17] to verify). The
E1000v2.1 is supported by the current OpenWrt/LEDE v17.01.x (see ref [16]
to verify), however both Linksys WRT54Gx routers John S brought in are
_only_ supported by the older OpenWrt 10.0.x version, specifically because
of the reasons Daniel G already mentioned within ref [09].

All mentioned above (i.e., Daniel G, Rick M, Bobbie S, John S, Todd H,
maestro, and Akkana P.) are very much welcome and invited to step-in and
provide your corrections/clarifications, your illuminating comments, and
your excellent advice on the above. Of course Michael P and others are
welcome to chip-in as well :-)

Quoting Bobbie  Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com>:

> Anyone attending the meeting is free to correct
> my omissions or incomprehension of the
> activities and asked to do so asap so that the
> membership not in attendance will not be
> mis-informed any longer than necessary.

Besides the longer above narrative, the only other additions I've got
right now are that I demo'd the DD-WRT-build desktop's GUI management
console on the E1000v2.1 and explained to jim the various ways using
software and hardware to flash the firmware on WiFi routers.

Best
-A