[sf-lug] Monday meeting and Bobbie Sellers' news (TMI?)

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Sun Apr 15 09:37:13 PDT 2018

jim <jim at well.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have an ADSL modem to give, loan,
> or sell to Bobbie? If so, and if you can, please
> bring it to the meeting; if you can't, please
> reply either to me or to the list.
>
> Hopefully, with thanks,
> jim

I think jim meant with the additional [:... :], "if so, and if you can,
please bring it to the meeting; if you can't [:attend the meeting:],
please reply either to me or to the list."

Might have a working SIEMENS SpeedStream 4100 Ethernet ADSL modem to lend
out to Bobbie as well. If this helps, most of the relevant specs for this
ADSL1/2/2+ modem are at [1]. Will try to attend this Monday evening's
meeting with this modem in hand, but cannot absolutely promise that I'd
make it and be there _exactly_ on time.

FWIW and IMHO, the router functions of the SpeedStream 4100 aren't really
that advanced, so I've usually used ADSL1/2/2+ modems such as this one
together with off-the-shelf WiFi routers running DD-WRT firmware [2] in
passthrough mode for more "acceptable" firewall/security features.

Should I actually and hopefully be able to attend Monday evening's meeting
having the loaner SpeedStream 4100 in hand, then I'd also want to plan to
bring along a Linksys(Cisco) E1000v2.1 WiFi router [3] with a DD-WRT build
on it [4] to work effectively with the SpeedStream 4100.

-Aaron
(at updated 'aaronco36' username)

FYI..... TMI = Too Much Information