[sf-lug] notes from meeting of Monday 15 February 2016

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Thu Feb 18 10:46:57 PST 2016

Hi LUGers,

     I got to Cafe Enchante by 5:40 PM, no problems
with setting up my notebook and getting online.
Started working on these notes by 5:50 PM

      Very crowded this evening in the Cafe Enchante..
     Only one table open in the usual row of tables
we meet at.  Aaron helped with this when the crowd
was still thick.

     As you may remember I was having a problem with
     Hibernation(suspend to disk) so this afternoon,
  after 4 PM, I put my notebook into Suspend (suspend
  to memory) and it started up as soon as I opened it up
  and logged  right onto the Cafe Enchante WiFi
  network without any intervention by myself...
      Only used 2% of my battery in the hour or so it took
me to get here.
     I tried this again on the way home and it was not so
successful.

     6:04 PM Maestro arrived.
     He brought along Robert who is a beginner with Linux.
I wrote a copy of Knoppix to DVD for him and gave that
to him as well as copy of Linux Mint 17.3 xfce
Sadly I forgot to tell him about the cheat file on the iso
which should be printed out unless one has an eidetic
memory.

     Aaron showed up a few minutes later and helped with
  the seating arrangements.  by moving a table.

     6:25  Jim Stockford came in. Discussing which languages
Robert might wish to learn.  Mainly discussing the scripting
languages but touched on others.

      Aaron was working on his very compact laptop
attempting to run Devuan in a Virtual Box.
Devuan in case you have not heard is a Debian fork
devoted to the avoidance of systemd and the use of
sysvinit. <http://devuan.org/>

      Well shortly after 7 PM Robert took off to get some
rest before it was time to go back to work or school.
     Maestro left by 7:40 PM.
     7:45 PM I started packing up my computer et al.
     Jim went after his car.
     7:50 PM Aaron and I moved the extra table back.
     Jim picked us up and gave me a ride home while
  taking Aaron on to the BART station.

     Anyone wishing to expand on my remarks
please let us know before my misperceptions are
taken for the whole truth,

     Next meeting will be on Sunday March 6, 2016.
     More about that on February 29th.

     Thanks for your attention.

     Bobbie Sellers