[sf-lug] Installing Void, C.E. Sign-in at SF-LUG mtg of 2017-11-05

Todd Hawley celticdm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 22:12:00 PST 2017

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Akkana Peck <akkana at shallowsky.com> wrote:

Rick Moen writes:
> > If you're driving by Broadcom headquarters, it might help to fly a paper
> > airplane in the front door with, written on it, 'Hey, doofuses!  Try
> > expending the cost of a first-class stamp on permitting unmodified
> > redistribution of your chips' firmware initialisation files.'  Love, the
> > open source community.'

I suspect whichever route one chose to deliver that message, the 'doofuses
at Broadcom'
would cheerfully ignore it, seeing that it's a problem that's been around a
long
time now and they have to know how annoyed open source folk are about this.

I've had to wrestle with too many Linux laptops with Broadcom
> wi-fi chips over the years. By far the best and easiest solution,
> if it's a laptop that's relatively easy to open, is research what
> format the Broadcom card is in your laptop (or just open it and
> see), and then order an Intel wi-fi card of the same size. They
> typically cost maybe $20-30, which is well worth it versus the
> time and sweat and frustration you'll put into fighting with the
> Broadcom.

Sounds like a better solution to me. :)

-th