[sf-lug] Thanks to 'artoo' RE: Manjaro Openrc to Artix

acohen36 acohen36 at SDF.ORG
Sun Oct 1 17:29:00 PDT 2017

Quoting maestro <maestro415 at gmail.com>:

> Very kewl reading different writings,blurbs,blogs et al. by Developer
> 'artoo' explaining the end (evolution via migration) of MANJARO-Openrc
> Linux & the creation of Artix 1.0 NON_sytstemd distro.
>
> Very concise, very informative, and very usable for those enjoying
> what's going on in this 'realm' of Linux.

Well, a highly relevant and fairly-recent announcement on that...
According to at least
https://fossbytes.com/manjaro-17-0-3-released-features-last-32bit-release/
and https://itsfoss.com/manjaro-drops-32-bit-support/, one of your
(maestro's) favorite distros is actually _discontinuing_ its support for
32bit CPUs. While that may not affect you at all, there are numerous
persons such as myself who are keeping our x86 32bit machines around, and
find neither Manjaro's nor Artix's 64bit-only versions such "kewl"
developments after all :-/

The systemd-free Devuan and Debian's current Stable/Stretch and
Testing/Buster releases, OTOH, plan to offer 32-bit i686 distro versions
well into the foreseeble short-term future; at least as long as I can see
from various online discussion postings such as Reddit's
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4omfud/why_are_distros_starting_to_drop_x86_support/.

-A
acohen36 at sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org