[sf-lug] BALUG: meeting: YESTERDAY!! Tu 2019-08-20..

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Wed Aug 21 11:14:44 PDT 2019

Well, that's actually not at all the real content here despite the rather
deceptive posting title ;->

Instead.....

Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> wrote in [01]:
> Anyone attending the meeting is free to correct my omissions
> or incomprehension of the activities and asked to do so asap
> so that the membership not in attendance will not be
> mis-informed any longer than necessary.

A couple of corrected "omissions or incomprehension of the activities" of
Monday's _SF-LUG_ meeting....

1. I brought along _several_ CDs and of different types in order to
"permit USB boot on older computers".
A few of these CDs were the non-OS-specific Plop Boot Manager boot CDs
described in [02] as enabling "USB boot without BIOS support (UHCI, OHCI
and EHCI)" (also described in the YouTube 'Plop Boot Manager Tutorial'
video of [03].)
A few of the CDs were instead of the 16.2MB bootonly.iso images which are
intended to be "used together with the full USB or DVD version in order to
start on old computers" _specifically_ for Knoppix 8.6, as described in
[04].

2. Instead of giving away "3 CDs of the archives of Linux Journal", I gave
away (or I _hope_ I gave away) 4 CDs of the archives of Linux Journal via
[05].
The 4 CDs of PDF archives should have been organized as follows..
CD1 : 583 MB Linux Journals 2005 thru 2007
CD2 : 601 MB   "      "     2008 thru 2010
CD3 : 474 MB   "      "     2011 thru 2013
CD4 : 564 MB   "      "     2014 thru 2019 to-date

3. IIRC, I discussed with Jim S., KNOPPIX's use of what the distro
maintainer(s) call the "overlay" feature.
Also directly quoting from [04]....
~~~~~~~~~~ quote ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After having copied the system to flash, using the persistent KNOPPIX
image (overlay feature) or an additional Linux partition, it is possible
to also store files permanently in live mode. That way, personal settings
and additionally installed programs survive a reboot.

On each of the KNOPPIX 8.6 liveUSBs I gave away, I created an
approximately 20 GB non-boot 2nd partition (turned out to be
reiserfs-formatted by default) which could and was used to store permanent
files that "survive a reboot". Such a USB non-boot file partition can be
mounted and used independently of KNOPPIX, and identified as drive
/dev/sdX2 where X could be the next available removable-drive letter
b,c,d,... etcetera.

-A