[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Monday 19 August 2019

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Tue Aug 20 12:39:37 PDT 2019

Hi LUGers,

     Well it was an interesting meeting for me if not
for others.

     I got to the Cafe Enchante about 5:30 PM.
Proceeded to set up my Dell E6520 which could not
go directly online.  I booted up another distro and
was online as fast as I could enter the password.
Was lucky enough to set up at the large table next
to a young man with an Apple laptop.  The Apple user l
eft before Aaron showed up.

     Shortly after me, John S.  showed up with his very
nice Windows laptop with the Ultra High Definition Display.
This enabled us to test Voyager 10 which claimed it could
bypass the need to shut off Secure-Boot in the BIOS but
you still have to configure the machine to boot from USB.
It seems that on this machine the BIOS will only hold the
setting through one cycle.  So Voyager 10 booted up to
the point it should have put up a desktop display but balked
not seeing the required screen mode.   It was printing
  to the screen in very tiny print which John had little trouble
reading but it could not proceed from there.
On my 1366 x 768 screen it had no problems.

     John S also booted up several other systems, Neptune 6,
Mint 19.3 and 3 varieties of Ubuntu 18.04.3 with greater
success.  Lubuntu and Ubuntu Mate both are capable of
much faster booting than we see usually.
       While I was testing these at home I decided that the
Lubuntu was superior to the others as it has the best of the
file managers aside perhaps from Kubuntu which I have not
downloaded yet.   Have to save something for the next
meeting.  I believe he tried out Knoppix 8.6 as well.

     Aaron arrived with lots of new stuff and old stuff as well.  He had
Knoppix 8.6 on Flash Drives and some disks as well.
slax 32 bit 9.91 boot disk on CD-R,
2 DVD-Rs of Knoppix 8.6,
One CD to permitUSB boot on older computers,
and
3 CDs of the archives of Linux Journal.

He gave away some things to various
members and above is what I carried
away.  He was planning to offer
Knoppix 8.2 DVD-R to members of another
group.

     Jim Stockford came in about 7:15 PM and engaged in
some discussion.
     He floated the idea that it might be useful to give up the
Monday night meetings.
     I hope that other members will respond to his suggestion.
     As for me I have no preferences in this matter as I was
not a LUG member when the meeting days and times were
decided upon.  When I agreed to show up at the meeting
site on a regular basis, I was responding to a request from Jim.

     If we decide to discontinue meeting on the 3rd Monday
I hope that we can move the Sunday meeting to the 2nd
  Sunday of the month.   Of course the fact that the next
meeting will be on Sunday September 1, may have something
to do with that notion.

     7:40 pm we were all ready to leave and I started packing.
Jim kindly gave me a ride to my front door and was going to
drop Aaron close to a BART station.

     Anyone attending the meeting is free to correct my omissions or
incomprehension of the activities and asked to do so asap so that the
membership not in attendance will not be mis-informed any longer
than necessary.

     Enjoy the remainder of Summer and take it easy on Labor Day Weekend.

     Bobbie Sellers