[sf-lug] SF-LUG - governance, domains, ...

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 5 19:24:11 PDT 2019

> From: jim <jim at well.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] sf-lug.com disabled: Fwd: Joker.com: Your
> domain 'sf-lug.com' has been scheduled for deletion
> Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2019 21:05:54 -0400

> Seems to me the .org domain name should
> be cannonical.

Bit ambiguous, but I'm presuming sf-lug.org, as was earlier, and not
that long ago stated.
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2019q2/014100.html
etc., e.g. also:
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2019q2/013999.html

> I did not promise to reimburse anyone
> and cannot keep such a promise.
Uhm ...
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2019q2/013999.html
Well, whatever, perhaps misinterpretation or not a promise or
whatever, ... and of course folks are also allowed to change
their minds.

> This is not my web site, it is our
> web site.

Well, ... but can't exactly run stuff by "collective horde".
Some person(s) or legal entity (e.g non-profit) needs to
be responsible.
So ... I'd strongly suggest you/y'all figure out who the
responsible person(s) are (or organization is).  Doesn't mean
others can't suggest, contribute, etc.  But some person(s) need
control and be responsible for, e.g. domain registrant data,
paying domain renewal(s), etc., web content, web hosting, list
management, etc.  Takes more than just tossing about some
(good) ideas on - or off - list (or at meeting, etc.), to make these
things happen and continue to function, etc.  If you want to
hand reins off to other person(s), and/or add other person(s),
that's all doable, but some person(s) need be responsible, and
there needs be some reasonable means by which decision(s) are
made ... and relevant/appropriate action(s) taken.