[sf-lug] SFLUG.org

jim jim at well.com
Thu Apr 11 09:52:40 PDT 2019

to my mind, the domains sflug.com and sflug.org
should probably be under our control as a matter
mainly of reducing confusion should some other
entity start using either of those names for
malicious purposes; also probably best we
control the names as long as we maintain good
will and charity with respect to SF bay area
linux users at large.

as to which should be canonical, seems to me
a matter of valuing

* the work that we all (all members
of the linuxmafia sf-lug.{com,org} mailing list
as well as people familiar with the name (the
occasional Apple and other OS users along with
people formerly living in the sf-bay area, and
certainly Michael Paoli, Rick Moen, and other
administrators have invested in the maintenance
of the name whois, linuxmafia, etc.,

against

* the work that must be done to make the newly
acquired name canonical

in light of

* the value of the newly acquired name over the
previously used canonical name.

I believe the use of hyphens has some history to
consider.

I do not believe the difference of one over the
other is worth much as seen from 10,000 feet or
ten years hence.

Maintaining control over sflug.{org,com} seems
worth doing.

I am willing to chip in money to maintain the sf lug
group, including domain name costs and reimbursements
to Bobbie for her costs.

Like the tax man, I am not supportive of paying anyone
for the work they do in maintaining our group.

forgive the length of this message, please.