[sf-lug] SFLUG.[...] Re: SFLUG.org

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 11 10:57:44 PDT 2019

So ...
sounds like first SF-LUGer to snap up
SFLUG.com and "We" SF-LUGers will have our 4th domain for SF[-]LUG.

As for registrar, I prefer Gandi.net,
Jim prefers (has preferred?) Joker.com - but Rick now considers
that a non-starter, as Joker.com will not allow registrant whois
customary details (such as email) to be made public (they give no
opt-in option and appears they have no intention to do so).  I'm
quite inclined to agree with Rick on that.  Rick may have
other preferred registrar(s) (sorry, I don't remember which
off-the-top-of-my-head - maybe he's even got a current web page on
that).  There are many registrars, many good/excellent (I'm sure Rick,
and possibly some others, could name a few to many or more), no shortage
of so-so or worse registrars out there also.

Also sounds like Jim is willing to reimburse direct domain costs.
Domain acquisition (covers first year) is typically around USD
$12.00 or so (often then + fees/taxes) to about $15.50 (+fees/taxes?).
probably not worth sweating the modest cost differences - quality
is more important (and cost difference probably less than your next
venue beverage at SF[-]LUG meeting - or certainly sandwich or such).
I'll cover cost of one domain for SF[-]LUG (already so doing -
presently SF-LUG.org), but not >=2nd domain (but could swap out
in future if so agreed and so arranged in future).

And if some non-SF[-]LUGer beats "us" to snapping up SFLUG.com,
well, then that opportunity is then probably gone - at least for
some while.

Person(s) might also be interested to (perhaps first?) look at
history of SFLUG.com ... or snap up first, research later ...
whatever.