[sf-lug] Fwd: "Future Lubuntu Releases Won't Focus on Old PCs"

aaronco36 at sdf.org aaronco36 at sdf.org
Mon Jul 30 22:52:25 PDT 2018

Thanks much for the responses to-date on my last 'Fwd: "Future Lubuntu
Releases Won't Focus on Old PCs" ' posting from [01] :-)

Quoting Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> from [02] :

4. I'm also sympathetic to Lubuntu developer Simon
Quigley's passing point that Firefox alone can, as
typically used in 2018, gobble a couple of gig of RAM.
(Of course, there are less RAM-gobbling graphical
browsers, and also ways to prevent Firefox from being
quite such a pig, just as there are graphical word
processors less RAM-gobbling than LibreOffice, etc.)

How much different Firefox is, now, on the *buntus, than Mozilla 'light'
ever was [03] on the now-defunct Linux Bootable Business Card (LNX-BBC)
project [04] well over a decade-and-a-half ago :-\

BTW, I just don't think i686 distros are going to disappear anywhere
_nearly_ as fast as did LNX-BBC.
And based upon Rick M's post of around that time-period [05] during his
stint at VA Linux Systems, whatever happened to the now possibly-defunct
Self-certifying File System (SFS) [06][07] ever since then???

Quoting Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> from [08] :
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes then I looked and Lubuntu still has an 32
bit version as do most of the 'buntu spins.
Besides that there are plenty of distributions
which have not abandoned the older 32 bit
machines...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On this particular point, I made a simple and quite unprofessional ad-hoc
2 x 2 grid of _just_ lightweight Debian-based 32-bit distros absent any
*buntu-based derivatives such as LXLE and Bodhi Linux.

               default systemd init   default NO systemd init

Debian Stable  Debian Stable          Devuan "ASCII"
("Stretch")       itself
-based
               BunsenLabs "Helium"

Debian Testing Debian Testing         AntiX with
("Buster")        itself              Debian Testing
-based                                repositories
               SparkyLinux

Slackware Linux's BDFL Patrick Volkerding has been a bit "stiffed" by our
relatively nearby Slackware Store out in Contra Costa County's City of
Brentwood [12] :-(

-A