[sf-lug] Fwd: "Future Lubuntu Releases Won't Focus on Old PCs"

aaronco36 at sdf.org aaronco36 at sdf.org
Sun Jul 29 20:40:46 PDT 2018

Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com>
forwarded the below message at [01]:

~~~~~~~~~~ quoting ~~~~~~~~~~~
Lubuntu will remain the operating system to bring
back to life old computers, but computers from 10
years ago which use a dual-core 64-bit processor
with at least 2GB of RAM, not 32-bit machines from
20 years ago that no longer exist.
Article: -- reference [02] --
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IIRC, I brought up the same notion of Lubuntu
discarding "older" 32-bit machines with less
than 2GB of RAM in my post of less than 3 mos
ago entitled 'SF-LUG meeting notes + abt some
lightweight distros' [03], as per the
conversation with Lubuntu developer Simon
Quigley:
~~~~~~~~~~ quoting ~~~~~~~~~~~

Simon Quigley	- April 28, 2018 at 1:48 am
> Minimum memory requirements jumped up twice in compare of 16.04. Why?

Computers have evolved.

> Can we install snaps in Lubuntu via GUI now?

Probably using the Ubuntu Software Center.
~
~
BornRetarded	- April 29, 2018 at 2:33 pm
>> Imagine if your car used twice the gasoline because cars have evolved.
~
~
Simon Quigley	- April 29, 2018 at 6:05 pm
>>> It's not the same thing.
>>> Please stop complaining about a number that we just bumped in the
release announcement.
>>>The goal is to make sure people know that things like Firefox will need
a couple of GB of RAM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note from [04] that the above conversation has
been effectively *scrubbed* out of Quigley's
Lubuntu 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver) release
announcement.

====

Right, so what to do going forward with those
32-bit PCs still around that have less than
2GB RAM?

Well, going right back to my previous post
of [03], one could still use:
- BunsenLabs Helium with Openbox WM [05]
- Bodhi Linux 4.5.x [06] with its Moksha
desktop and using extra optimizations
such as those within the Easy Linux tips
project[07].
(Actually referred to the EL tips project
in item 3 within a previous post at [08])
- AntiX Linux 17.1 "Heather Heyer" with its
lightweight WMs [09]
- Void Live 20171007 with its lightweight
desktops [10]
- Devuan ASCII with its lightweight
desktop(s) [11]

Within my previous post of [12], I
mentioned Puppy Linux [13]

There is still Debian (GNU/) Linux for
i686 using its lightest weight desktop(s)
along with further optimizations [14]

There are several other as yet unmentioned
and definitely less popular lightweight
Debian/Ubuntu variants such as LXLE
16.04.x [15] and WattOS R10 [16] with each
of their respective lightweight desktops.

====

Comments, additional suggestions, advice,
... etcetera most certainly welcome from
Bobbie S, Michael P, Rick M, Daniel G, and
others reading this :-)

-A