[sf-lug] follow-thru to "+abt some lightweight distros"

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Tue May 8 20:46:15 PDT 2018

maestro <maestro415 at gmail.com> wrote:

> i mentioned this before when it was first put 'up' as a
> complete distro so, a little redundant but hits on some
> of your overview(s)..."Artix Linux _64" = <https://artixlinux.org/>.
> this was 'morphed' from the discontinued :-(( Manjaro-openrc
> [systemd version still coded and more popular by the week].
>

> i think if you go to the site and look @ some of the commands
> they posted for 'manual intervention' right on the front page of
> the site it will help you with some of your 'tasks'... if not it
> won't take much of your time.

Thanks both of you for your reminders and suggestions. :-)
Guess that I was mostly focusing on the remaining 32-bit
and systemd-free distros :-\
Now that you both mentioned the above distros, I also recollect that the
once very popular Puppy Linux is _still_ systemd-free -- see
https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=puppy

----
I wrote in my previous post:
~~~~~~~~~ quoting ~~~~~~~~~
The 'Systemd' wikipage (ref [26] again) shows that taking
steps seemingly similar to those in ref [17] for Debian 8
"Jessie" OpenRC Conversion can remove MX Linux's reliance
on systemd and some of (all of?) systemd's various "hooks".
earlier today. Those "steps seemingly similar to those in ref [17] for
Debian 8 "Jessie" OpenRC Conversion" are rather used to *re-introduce*
(i.e., to Enable) systemd back into MX Linux rather than to "remove" or
disable it!

The MX 'Systemd' wikipage Enabling systemd section at
https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/systemd#Enabling%20systemd even highlights
several of the most important steps to do this right here:
~~~~~~~~~ quoting ~~~~~~~~~
6. still in root terminal: apt-get purge systemd-shim sysvinit
7. launch wicd to restore network connection if it has been lost.
8. reinstall removed packages in root terminal: apt-get install
policykit-1-gnome hplip gvfs gvfs-backends gvfs-fuse live-usb-maker-gui
grub-customizer mx-apps gufw network-manager network-manager-gnome
network-manager-openconnect

So I stand corrected on this; mea culpa :-|.
----

-A

aaronco36 at sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org