[sf-lug] higher resolution displays due in 2013

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 21:23:16 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 10:29 PM, Mike Higashi <mhigashi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:59 PM, Brian Morris <cymraegish at gmail.com> wrote:
> > HP has had a 30" WQXGA (2560 x 1600) monitor for ~4 years, that is a
> couple
> > hundred cheaper than Apple Monitor and 3 year warranty included.
>

> If you miniaturized that 30" display down to about 12", you'll have a
> pixel density
> equivalent to a Retina display, which is what the link Bobbie provided was
> talking about.

oh, but if you expanded the 12" to 30" keeping the pixel density ...  are
we to expect that anytime soon ?

Apple is calling their new 15" macbook pro a retina display and (I think)
it is the same WQXGA resolution (total pixels) By contrast, the former
models high rez display option was 1680x1050 (about 50% more pixels than
the standard one) Having used one of these, I have to say I would rather
put the $$ toward a big monitor. I just want to keep the pixel density of a
standard 15" screen in the 30" size. Seems to me like HDTV resolution
1920x1080 should max out around 24"