[sf-lug] how to run software automatically at start up; how to make a ram disk

jim jim at systemateka.com
Mon Aug 6 13:41:14 PDT 2012

    Last Sunday we were playing with startup programming.

    Here's a link to Artem Nosulchik's Linux Screw article
on making a ram disk.

http://www.linuxscrew.com/2010/03/24/fastest-way-to-create-ramdisk-in-ubuntulinux/

    It's nicely written--right to the point and clear as
a bell. One of the purposes he explains is for using lots
of small files, for example a suite of Perl scripts in a
ram disk avoids the latency of hard disk access for each
script or data file accessed.
    Among the readers' congratulatory comments, someone
mentions using the RAM disk to spare multiple writes to
an SSD device (I'm assuming the software in use writes to
the ram disk and at the end of a session or every so often,
the user copies the contents of the ram disk to the SSD).

    What's that to do with startup programming? Another
reader asks how to set the system up so the ram disk is
created at boot time. Yet another reader provides a link:
http://www.ubuntuka.com/autostart-ubuntu-startup/

    Use System > Preferences > Startup Applications and
click the add button to add whatever you'd like to run at
start time: for example, your create a ram disk shell
script.
    I'll try that now and report.