[sf-lug] Volunteer InstallFest (Dec 15th)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Nov 21 02:20:04 PST 2007

I wrote:
> Quoting ron (rondosxx at yahoo.com):
> > Could someone translate this into common language? I
> > don't speak this dialect.
> Either convince Tom not to post in UTF-8, or switch mail readers to one
> that supports that character set (or supports Unicode more generally).
> But see below.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8
> I'm not a Yahoo Mail user.  You may be able to get relevant pointers
> from people who are.  That having been said, I vaguely recall that Yahoo
> Mail is some sort of webmail system, right?  You might be able to
> correct the display by (using Firefox as an example) visiting View menu,
> Character Encoding, and picking "Unicode (UTF-8)".

So, I've now checked the HTML archive of Tom's post on which Ron comented:

So far, it's come up gibberish on every browser I've tried, even when I
selected UTF-8 as the browser's character encoding.  His later post is OK:

...as is various of his earlier ones:

Damned if I know what happened -- but, FWIW, my copy of "mutt" displayed
Tom's UTF-8-encoded text in his otherwise problematic posting, just fine.

This is mostly just to reassure Ron that he wasn't hallucinating, I