[sf-lug] Backups are important

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 20 23:05:24 PST 2007

Quoting Kristian Erik Hermansen (kristian.hermansen at gmail.com):

> However, the problem comes when someone's Xorg config breaks, for
> instance, and they have no way of restoring it (because the GUI is all
> they know).  So, maybe someone could hack a boot-kernel dedicated to
> when your machine gets b0rked, which possibly relies on TimeVault
> snapshots.

Bingo.  This is why "I need my backup software to be 100% graphical" is
the sure sign of someone who hasn't bothered to think through the
restore process.

> And in terms of backup software...
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backup_software

Tape backup software for Linux:
http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/backup/  (Note amusingly retro index
file "00index.txt".)

(I've heard all the standard objections to tape, so, people, please don't
post them for my benefit.  Also, please peruse
http://baheyeldin.com/technology/why-tapes-are-still-the-most-efficient-backup-method.html .)