[sf-lug] HVLC: The next stage - UPDATED DATE/TIME

Tom Haddon tom at greenleaftech.net
Mon Oct 1 18:12:40 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 12:33 -0700, Christian Einfeldt wrote:
> hi
>
> If it is okay with you guys, I would like to document your work on
> video for the DTP.  It is kind of interesting that members of the
> support crew for the school are also interested in supporting the
> HVCC, and so that might make an interesting story line.  The
> "characters" in our documentary are probably going to be our local
> LUG.  Then we will use the footage from Munich, Brazil, and Spain to
> hang on the frame of our local story line.  There seems to be a
> coalescing of interests and characters here now in our local LUGs, and
> we seem to be making progress in the very crucial business of reaching
> newbies.
>
> IMHO, without newbies, FOSS is nothing.  Without end users, FOSS is
> nothing.  Market share means market share among simple end users, and
> I personally believe that much of the work that we are doing is to
> create brand acceptance for the idea of FOSS and the Deb and rpm
> repositories, which will lay the groundwork for Dell, HP, Zareason,
> TechCollective.com, and others to commercialize the FOSS space, which,
> in turn, results in more capital to support community projects like
> HVCC and the school, which in turn, results in greater brand
> acceptance, and it is a virtuous cycle of commoditization,
> commercialization, and community building. Of course our film is going
> to have music, and special effects, but that is the idea underlying
> the film.  That is how I think we will reach a digital tipping point.
>
>         I've just spoken to Gloria (the co-ordinator at the center),
>         and she
>         can't make this time. So, I've re-scheduled for Sunday 30th
>         September at
>         3pm. Hope this works for people.
>
> Would you please ask her if she minds if we shoot at the HVCC ?
> Also, Kami, I would like to check in with you and see if you mind.
> Coincidentally, Jim Lynch knows me, and I think that he and I have a
> good association or relationship (for lack of a better term) on the
> refurbishers list.  I know that this is not a Compumentor project, but
> I figure it doesn't hurt to do a little outreach to everyone in the SF
> Bay Area tech community.  Everyone has a role to play in beating the
> digital divide, and I know that Jim is really committed to doing just
> that.

Hi Christian,

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you. I think I'll have to
defer to Kami and/or Gloria on this one. SF-LUG is trying, as much as
possible to simply provide the technology platform and tech support for
this project, and seems like your request would fall outside of that.

Cheers, Tom

--

Tom Haddon
mailto:tom at greenleaftech.net