[sf-lug] sharing calendars without Google?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Aug 21 21:08:31 PDT 2022

Quoting Akkana Peck (akkana at shallowsky.com):

> I've been trying to find a way to share a calendar between my Linux
> machine and my Android phone -- without involving Google or Apple.

I see you're having a go at Radicale.
https://radicale.org/v3.html

(For other people's information:)  By design, Radicale doesn't solve the
"I need a CalDAV/CardDAV client for operating system [$FOO].  It also
doesn't provide live Web 2.0-type editing/viewing of data.  It's a small
and no-nonsense bit of Python3 code.

The docs say that CalDAV and CardDAV are superset protocols of WebDAV,
which in turn extends and builds in HTTP.</end review for others>

> There are apparently Android apps to import from CalDAV, which might
> be smarter about avoiding duplicate events. So on Linux I've been
> fiddling around with radicale (a lightweight CalDAV server) and
> vdirsyncer (which is supposed to be able to export ics files to
> CalDAV), but I can't figure out how to get them to talk to each
> other.

Tried DAVx?  The Radicale developers claim it's a tested and known-good
Android client known to work well with Radicale.

> The documentation is very skimpy. There's another caldav
> server that vdirsyncer recommends called Xandikos, but it has even
> less documentation.

Xandikos (https://www.xandikos.org) is one of the main Radicale competitors.
Others:
Calypso:  https://www.keithp.com/calypso/
DAViCal:  https://www.davical.org/  (but it's PHP)
Baïkal:   https://sabre.io/baikal/  (but it's PHP)
Calendar and Contacts Server: https://github.com/apple/ccs-calendarserver
  (formerly named Darwin Calendar Server)

I do not concur with people who like PHP/Javascript monstrosities
like Nextcloud/ownCloud, but if that's your cuppa, great.