[sf-lug] Tip: Better to use Chromium/Chrome but up-to-date FF fine too ... for Jitsi

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Sun Sep 6 21:40:45 PDT 2020

Quoting Michael Paoli <Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu> :
> Hmmm, interestingly, I've had (generally) much better success with
> using Jitsi with Firefox, than Chromium. Maybe a slightly broader
> "tip"/suggestion?  But, uhm, no, not whatever browsers someone
> still has on their Microsoft Windows 95 installation ... hell no.

My vote similar to Michael's here; an updated Firefox seems to function
just as well as or even a bit perceptively "better" than Chromium/Chrome
for Jitsi Meet.

Just my own two cents on that :-)

And further quoting Michael Paoli <Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu> :
> ... oh, also issues with audio feedback and/or (excessive)
> background noise and such.  In addition to doing muting
> selectively, to isolate, Jitsi also gives pretty good indications
> of audio volume levels coming in, and in at least some modes,
> will auto select and highlight whichever participant is making
> the most sound/noise (in theory the one doing the talking).
> Anyway, those "hints" can also be used - often to more quickly
> isolate the source of the audio feedback or background noise
> ... but selective muting is certainly best for positive
> confirmation ... though the other indicators may often more
> quickly narrow the field of (prime) suspect(s).

Although this admittedly applied to _me_ and that noisy, disruptive
microphone today (guilty as charged ;-O), still, Allex and especially
Michael give cogent reasons to stick with Jitsi Meet vs. downgrading back
to Zoom, I think.  Another +1 vote for Jitsi Meet here.
At some point soon after someone pointed out that my mic was one of the
disruptive sound culprits, I became more careful to mute myself when not
talking.

-A

aaronco36 at sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org