[sf-lug] Tip: Better to use Chromium/Chrome but up-to-date FF fine too ... for Jitsi

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Sep 7 00:06:23 PDT 2020

Quoting aaronco36 (aaronco36 at SDF.ORG):

> My vote similar to Michael's here; an updated Firefox seems to
> function just as well as or even a bit perceptively "better" than
> Chromium/Chrome for Jitsi Meet.

It's not surprising that a sufficiently recent Firefox is particularly
good, because https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebRTC#Support includes
'Mozilla Firefox 22+' -- v. 22 having been a mid-2013 release.  Even all
releases of the Firefox ESR (extended support release) edition are more
recent than that, so _theoretically_ you ought not to find older
Firefox, right?

Um, if only.  Turn out, you can find a lot of people running really old
Firefox versions.  And, funny thing, a lot of the really vague reports
of users claiming that they could never use Jitsi Meet say they are
running 'Firefox' but never give a clear answer if you ask the version
number.  Coincidence?  Maybe.

> Although this admittedly applied to _me_ and that noisy, disruptive
> microphone today (guilty as charged ;-O), still, Allex and
> especially Michael give cogent reasons to stick with Jitsi Meet vs.
> downgrading back to Zoom, I think.  Another +1 vote for Jitsi Meet
> here.

Earbuds fix the problem no matter what microphone and no matter where
it's located.  just sayin'.