[sf-lug] Meeting of 5/3

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Mon May 4 16:41:37 PDT 2020

Quoting John Strazzarino <jstrazza at yahoo.com> from [1]:
Meeting started a bit early so people could get their zoom working.  I
personally used a demo version Pop!_OS and a usb stick and it worked just
fine.  I showed the group how the interface looked via screen sharing.
It worked well.  Most zoomers seemed to be Using ubuntu or a variation of
it.

OTOH, I rather got the impression that most "zoomers" at yesterday's
meeting seemed to be using _Debian_ or variations of the same rather than
of Ubuntu; Ubuntu of course ultimately derived from Debian, its parent
distro. I used a Devuan box (systemd-disabled Debian derivative), Alex K
used a "Debian(10) /w Fluxbox system"[2], and Michael P, IIRC, used a
native install or VM of Debian Stable.

As Rick M noted in one of his recent postings [3], there was also some
brief discussion on Linux advocacy for various matters such as recommended
distros for n00Bs versus for those more advanced, for or against systemd,
and probably for one or two other technical matters which I cannot recall
at present.
Fortunately, no advocacy discussion of Emacs versus vi or vi versus Vim --
as has certainly been previously discussed on the mailing-list over the
years by passionate advocates on one side or the other ;-)

Quoting John Strazzarino <jstrazza at yahoo.com> from [1]:
Lot of talk about jitsi which Is another Type of meeting software.  While
in this meeting I got into jitsi and it seemed to have similar
functionality to zoom.  There was a raspberry pi jitsi meeting but it
doesn't seem to like Firefox, chrome being preferred.