[sf-lug] THIS SUNDAY, May 3, 11 AM, SF-LUG ZOOM vrtual meeting

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun May 3 21:01:58 PDT 2020

Quoting Alex Kleider (akleider at sonic.net):

> I expect to soon give up this endeavor and turn to antiX or mxlinux
> (as suggested _but not advocated_ by Rick:-)

My desktop-distro FAQ, which I mentioned briefly on Zoom, is here:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/kicking.html#distro
It's explicitly addressed to typical arriving desktop users, but _not_
to relatively advanced users like you who are exploring *ix system
fundamentals and playing with sparse configurations.

As will be apparent when you skim-read the FAQ item, I wrote it in large
part in reaction to the many people who address controversy by
figuratively bludgeoning their audiences with personal opinions, under
the mistaken impression that so doing convinces people (which never
works, and is just an annoying waste of time).

The guy who maintains the Linux User Group HOWTO has more to say about
who advocacy arguments are a bad idea and a waste of time:
http://linuxmafia.com/lug/User-Group-HOWTO-4.html