[sf-lug] Ended Monday Evening meetings!; web site updated, ... (was: Re: End Monday Evening meetings? Please Discuss)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 9 22:36:48 PDT 2019

Pardons if I might've (slightly) jumped the gun, but ...
based on the evidence, etc.:
o The clock was counting down towards 3rd Monday and getting
   increasingly close - takes bit 'o time to update things,
   and folks ought know as reasonably far in advance as feasible
   (many may only look at the web pages - or mostly just do that).
o consensus totally unfeasible - SF-LUG has approximately 281 members,
   exceedingly improbable all would ever vote on anything regarding
   SF-LUG
o plurality opinion/discussion on list was highly to exceedingly in
   favor of dropping Monday meetings
o Jim stated he could no longer support Monday meetings
o Bobbie stated she couldn't support Monday meetings (or at least not
   the full time range thereof) without ride home from Monday meetings,
   and nobody spoke up to cover the ride thing.
o Nobody spoke up saying anything approximating "We should continue
   Monday meetings!" and/or "I'll volunteer to be there for the Monday
   meetings or arrange that at least someone will be there if I can't!"
o if we go by (older?) decision tree, Jim is "head honcho" of SF-LUG,
   and Bobbie backup / 2nd in command thereof - both also effectively
   nixed the idea of continuing or them being able to support Monday
   meetings.

Anyway, at least as I took the above (and pardons my paraphrasing and/or
possibly (slight?) inaccuracies or in characterizations thereof), that
pretty much pointed rather definitively at a Monday meetings need end
and things need be updated - ongoing inconclusive debate/discussion on
list (and with no updates to web site) just muddies the waters.

So ... I took the actions, based on list discussions, evidence, etc.,
to make the updates to the web site to end the Monday meetings,
likewise inform list via posting (and notably update Subject: header
so it was no longer a question), also updated the relevant
Google calendar, and notified Rick (maintainer of The BALE).

And I've still not seen anyone take any definitive actions to
countermand that, by well/reasonably arguing to continue Monday
meetings and/or do the needed volunteering to make that happen, etc.
The Monday meetings had also been reported as generally rather to quite
sparsely attended.

Anyway, folks are always welcome to volunteer.  Folks can volunteer to
host the Monday meetings - and arrange folk(s) to be there to cover it
if they can't, update web site, inform relevant folks to update other
references/pointers, volunteer to give Bobbie a ride home from
all the Monday meetings, etc.  Still waitin'.  <crickets>

Oh, yeah, and gettin' just about anyone except me to update the web
site (with perhaps some negligible exceptions - well, at least
mostly historically in more recent year(s)), has been ... well, pulling
teeth is much easier.  So I made the updates (despite several other folks
having the requisite access to make the changes ... alas, I may see a bit
'o progress there ... but not (quite) yet to "published"/production (main
web page, etc.).  So, at least for the most part it's been me that ends up
making the updates/corrections.  If I waited 'till the "list" decided
any more definitively, might not have left me sufficient time to update
the web page (I'm not on SF-LUG's beck and call to turn on a dime to
address such matters or do such updates) - especially presuming nobody
else bothered to do it (which is most generally the case).  So, I made
the
reasonable presumption that Monday meetings are history (or consensus, etc.
opinion was to make 'em so), and so I did so and made the changes.