[sf-lug] TAILS 3.16 out

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Thu Sep 5 12:58:31 PDT 2019

Bobbie,

Thanks for that. Actually, I was using Tails to boot my Macbook because I didn't want to use a USB drive in my Librem laptop (https://puri.sm/products/librem-15/) [The one with Qubes on it that we were talking about].

But, that does bring up something that I could really use some help with.

The opposite of Tails is Heads. That is, Tails is a super secure bootable OS. However, how does one guarantee the boot process itself is secure -- Heads to the rescue.

Specifically, I purchased the Librem key (https://puri.sm/products/librem-key/) to solve this problem. But, it wasn't as easy to use as I first thought. It looks like it's just a rebranding of Heads and that we need to understand how to build Heads to be able to setup the Librem Key.

I have been able to keep a tin-hat paranoia around the Librem laptop -- only two USB devices have been plugged into the machine and they both came from the vendor Purism.

So, I would like help understanding how to build Heads on another machine. And, once I understand the process, then I can do the same thing with the Librem Key and the Librem laptop.

Here's a video that shows how easy it's supposed to be:
https://puri.sm/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/heads-demo-edit.webm?_=1

But, I had a different experience when I was setting mine up. I think they are making the Librem Key more "plug and play" to make it easier to setup. That may be done now. If not, I need to understand Heads enough to do the same setup.

If anyone is interested in this project or could help out, maybe we could work on this at a meeting (However, I won't be bringing the Librem laptop nor key to the meeting -- it'll have to be on other hardware).

Kindest Regards,

Glen Jarvis
--

https://www.linkedin.com/in/glenjarvis/