[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday 4 August 2019

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Aug 4 15:27:01 PDT 2019

Hi LUGers.

     Well today was quite the largest meeting in quite some time.

     When I arrived about 10:40 am John S had set up his NUC with a
small monitor and keyboard.
He had brought along 3 older programmable routers and a book on
programming them.

     Well I setup the Dell E6540 and started running diagnostic commands
to figure out why the
WiFi is not connecting,

for testers for their splendid
tool, Open Refractory which is an intelligent debugger designed to
review C code before compilation,
for errors and to correct errors.  They stuck around to nearly the end
of the meeting.  They
were advised to join our mailing list and make a little post about what
sort of volunteers they
are looking for.

     Ken came in and we all discussed the old computers we had used.
Because while Linux is
hard for some members to come to grips with we all enjoy tales of the
past computers we
started working with.

     Ken's wife Sunni is still under the weather and we all hope that
she gets well soon.

     Ken helped me to figure out exactly why my machine could not get
online, using the output of
the diagnostic commands.   I booted up a copy of Mageia 7.1 which went
right online with only the
addition of the Cafe Enchante passphrase and tried to copy firmware
between the PCLinux and the
  Mageia but no luck so far.   Was really pressed for time here.

     David from MaxRSpace solutions and Francis came by only briefly.

     Maestro showed up.

     Aaron came in with a couple of routers and took one or more away
including I think the
book on programming them.

     About 12:20 Jim Stockford showed up.

     Finally as I was nearly packed up to leave Tom showed up, short of
sleep due to the medications
which the physician has prescribed.

     Anyone attending the meeting is free to correct my omissions or
incomprehension of the activities and asked to do so asap so that the
membership not in attendance will not be mis-informed any longer
than necessary.

     1300+ we left but for Tom who stayed to catch up on his online time.

     Jim Stockford gave Aaron and myself a ride to out destinations.

     So that amounts to 8 or 9 other folks in attendance.

     Biggest meeting of the year so far.

     Next meeting will be two weeks from tomorrow on Monday August 19, 2019.
     Regular notice of that meeting should appear on Monday August 12.

     Hope you are enjoying your summer.

     Bobbie Sellers