[sf-lug] Debian 10 out on ...

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sun Jul 7 13:40:50 PDT 2019

> From: "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] Debian 10 out on ...
> Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2019 10:02:24 -0700

> Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu):
>
>> Already been seeding 'em to bittorrent:
>> | Filename                                          Size   Download
>> Upload |
>> | debian-10.0.0-amd64-i386-netinst.iso          613.0  M   0    B/s
>> 0    B/s |
>> | ^---  download succeeded!                                0.0  M
>> 0.0  M   |
>> | debian-10.0.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso             641.0  M   0    B/s
>> 13    B/s |
>> | ^---  download succeeded!                                0.0  M
>> 56.1  M   |
>> | debian-10.0.0-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso              641.0  M   0    B/s
>> 0    B/s |
>> | ^---  download succeeded!                                0.0  M
>> 4.1  M   |
>
> Again, I have to ask:  Why not favour the unofficial images that
> differ only in adding back the omitted non-free firmware BLOBs?
> https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware/

If you don't need 'em, you don't need 'em.  :-)
For the installs, I prefer to not install non-free without at least
knowingly taking explicit action to do so.  And with the install
images, easy enough - just put the non-free firmware on, e.g. another USB
flash stick, per documentation, and the installer will then recognize it
and use it (it'll ask for it if you have hardware the installer deems
needs firmware that's not available from main, but requires non-free).

But yes,for the live, I'd favor with the non-free firmware, as not so
convenient/easy to add non-free firmware if, e.g. one is taking
the distro for a spin and running it off live DVD.  Though I'd generally
recommend installing from the install images, not from the live
images, though some will choose to install from live images anyway.
But if one really really wants the install to be "just like" (as
close as possible to what it looks like) it is on live, well, ... one
can install from live.  But one can hope folks actually think and make
some choices, and don't just take all the defaults (but alas, I may
be dreaming).