[sf-lug] sf-lug.com disabled: Fwd: Joker.com: Your domain 'sf-lug.com' has been scheduled for deletion

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 5 17:50:12 PDT 2019

Al,

Thanks on your interest/offer.  :-)

Jim Stockford and myself have (at least primary) access/control
of sf-lug.org and sf-lug.com - most notably access to the registrant
account on those, access to change DNS delegation(s), transfer, etc.

I've got no objections to adding you on the sf-lug.com account on
that.  Jim can do that, or if he states that's okay, I can go ahead and
add you (likewise for sf-lug.org if he so consents).

"Need" SF-LUG.COM / should keep it?  As far as I'm aware, SF-LUG has been
deafeningly silent on that matter.  I've presumed from the (much) earlier
that the answer to that would be that yes, the intent/desire is to keep
it.  However, the relatively near complete actions to move on that
might suggest otherwise ... but then on the other hand, in more recent
years, I've not seen SF-LUG do all that much regarding definitive
action(s)/statements, other than some handful of folks or so showing
up in a cafe generally twice a month for meetings.

As for SF-LUG.ORG, that is still the canonical.  I volunteered to cover
that one - including paying for domain renewal - and especially if no one
else could/would cover that.  (and also looks like this time around,
after I'd renewed it and so stated on list, someone later came along and
renewed/extended it for an additional year).

As for the others
(sf-lug.com, sflug.org, sflug.com, sflug.net), well, that depends what
SF-LUG folk(s) (and including yourself :-)) are willing and able to do,
including paying the domain renewals.  Paraphrasing from memory, last
I recall (and it's on-list somewhere) Jim stated something about intent
that I seem to recall stated or implied keeping all 5
(sf-lug.org, sf-lug.com, sflug.org, sflug.com, sflug.net),
that sf-lug.org was to remain the canonical, and that Jim was willing to
and would reimburse folks for paying for those domain
acquisitions/renewals.

In the meantime, sf-lug.com - *anyone* can pay to have it renewed.
I'm not paying for that one or non-canonicals, nor fronting the
funds for renewals/acquisitions - but that doesn't prevent other(s)
from so doing.

I was also thinking bit earlier sf-lug.com. could do with some more
DNS nameservers ... but I deferred that - figure we can deal with that
if/after sf-lug.com gets renewed - I figure no use putting effort into
it if folks may just opt to drop that flat on the floor anyway.