[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets July 7, 2019

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Jul 1 09:53:35 PDT 2019

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
and every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

     Distributions added to the library.

    SUSE and Red Hat have later Enterprise releases available
as reported at Distrowatch.  <www.distrowatch.com>

Distributions listed below have been check-summed and
probably written to disk or to Flash Drive.

     Kodachi 6.1 (kodachi-6.1-64.iso)

     Mageia 7 finally released!
     Will have Live and Install versions for x86_64 and i586
Versions for ARM are available and if anyone want to try
those let me know.
     Mageia-7-Live-Plasma-x86_64.iso
     Mageia-7-Live-Xfce-x86_64.iso
and two install only versions.
     Mageia-7-x86_64.iso
     Mageia-7-i586.iso
The live versions are <3 GB and the Install only versions
are > 4 GB.  In case you are unfamiliar the Install only
versions, like the Mandriva this is descended from, are
larger due to inclusion of 4 Desktop Environments
KDE's Plasma 5, XFCE, Gnome, and Cinnamon.

     I may do an installation of Mageia 7 on the test machine as
Zorin seems a waste of time for me but it would make a great
distribution for a Windows user trying to get out from under
Microsoft's thumb.  Since that installation I have had boot
problems with PCLinuxOS64.

     Microsoft's thumb is dumb by the way and the latest dumb
thing we have learned about is this discontinuance without
notice to the 800 million unfortunate users of the Registry
backup.    Full details at:
<*https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/06/29/microsoft-windows-10-upgrade-registry-warning-upgrade-windows/#2ce2431671ef*>
     The tool for the backup seems to be working but creates files
of 0 bytes length.  This was deliberate on MS's part and so was
the failure of the company to inform users and the alleged intent
was to save 100 MB of space with each backup.

     Well I hope a few of us show up at the Meeting on the 7th of July
at the Cafe Enchante.

     Bobbie Sellers