[sf-lug] Pre-references for BALUG mtg:TONIGHT!

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 18 23:31:11 PDT 2018

Quoting aaronco36 (aaronco36 at SDF.ORG):

> Besides the references Michael P provided so far in [1] and above on
> the /proc and /sys filesystems, here are several more....
>
> 3. The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) Chapter 6 annex for the
> Linux operating system [2]
> 4. StackExchange's 'What is in /dev, /proc and /sys?' [3]
> 5. Quora's 'What is the difference between /proc and /sys?' [4]
> 6. A decent YouTube video by Anthony Irwin 'demonstating proc, sys,
> dev, udev and dbus' [5]
> 7. An *extremely* difficult-to-understand YouTube video '/proc vs
> /sys filesystem' [6]
[...]
> [1]http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2018q3/013426.html
> [2]https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch06.html
> [3]https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/188886/what-is-in-dev-proc-and-sys
> [4]https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-proc-and-sys
> [5]https://youtu.be/v_5Aoyzcm5M
> [6]https://youtu.be/NbgIubl3aB4

Nice set of links as always, Aaron.  Thanks.

Insta-assessments:  The FHS link is very barebones on this subject, but at
least has a sentence or two about the intended role of all top-level
directories including /proc and /sys.  The Stackexchange link is an
ideal starting point, concise, short, and spot-on.  The Quora link gives
a bit more surrounding detail and also has the advantage of brevity.

First Youtube link is a somewhat meandering 10-minute tour elementary
through /proc and /sys.  Second is similar and shorter, with a slightly
different emphasis including use of sysctl (good!).  Both are not bad if
being shown stuff video-style helps one learn.

Something I mentioned briefly at this evening's BALUG meeting:  My
friend Bodo Bauer back when he was working at the now-vanished SUSE
Linux office in Oakland (in 1999, I'm pretty sure) published online in
HTML format two key chapters of an intended book, detailing very
usefully almost all features of /proc in the then-prevalent Linux
kernels.  I still have it here:

http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/suse-linux-internals.tar.gz

Bodo and a co-author went on to make that part of a larger 600 page
technical book for IDG Books, _Suse Linux Internals_, mentioned here:
https://www.amazon.com/SuSE-Linux-Internals-CDROM-Bauer/dp/0764545957
https://books.google.com/books/about/Suse_Linux_Internals.html?id=EecUkgEACAAJ

Of course, all contents being last millennium makes them less useful
now, but I suspect it's solely a matter of (lesser) scope of coverage
rather than [in]accuracy.  (And yes, 1999-2000 is indeed a long time
ago.)