[sf-lug] USB mic not working under 14.04

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Sep 7 15:01:33 PDT 2018

> Also, looking at the tail end of it - looks like you pasted the script to
> CLI ... but cut off that output before the portion where one inserts the
> USB device, then presses <ENTER> ... so - looks like you didn't complete
> that all important portion of it - or the gathering/reporting of that part of
> the data.

'Course, he _did_ (separately) provide the _equivalent_ of usbidiff
output, in the form of full lsusb output, then device attachment, then
full lsusb output again.  So, we already knew exactly what usbidiff
would have reported:  insertion of a USB device with a hex ID string
combo that table-resolved to (allegedly) a completely different USB
device by a different manufacturer.

So, either his *buntu box has a hilariously wrong usb.ids lookup table,
or two very different USB devices, an audio adapter and a microphone,
have been each given the same hex ID string in error.

Since Christian says (rather vaguely without any of the needed detail)
that it 'worked' on somebody's Chromebook, obviously at least one Linux
distro (the ChromeOS load) resolved the hex strings to the correct USB
device description and insmod'ed the correct kernel driver.  Me, I'd
have wanted to look more closely at what that machine did.

(Some time, I may need to post a small rant about how extremely useless
the phrases 'worked' and 'didn't work' are for debugging.)