[sf-lug] [Made from scratch]

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Wed Aug 29 08:35:36 PDT 2018

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ quoting ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> and possibly even reflashing BIOS

To solve _what problem_, by the way?

Earlier this month, you wanted a seminar during the then-upcoming BALUG
meeting to learn how to do diagnosis.  I mused a bit on CABAL's mailing
list about some (pithily worded) candidate principles of diagnosis.  One
was:

o  Make sure you are extremely clear on what the problem _is_.

(If one is not clear on what the problem is, and why one is trying to
address it, then maybe figuring out _that_ is a higher priority.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OTOH, and not necessarily an "of course moment", I humbly suggest for your
consideration that instead of solving a particular "what problem" or
learning how to "do diagnosis", in the more general sense maestro likely
wants the admirable goal (IMHO) of simply gaining some hands-on experience
and a fuller _learning_ of how one would "do a distro build from
'scratch'meaning 'naked' hard drive and possibly even reflashing BIOS"
(from reference [1]).

Another source for my own distinct impression of this learning goal is the
quote further down in maestro's previous post of [1]:
~~~~~~~~~~ quoting ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This building of a distro is especially good for newer users and those
wanting to improve their command line [that's what you type in the
terminal when someone asks you to open one ;-)) ] in a friendly
NON-judgemental. NON-narcissistic, environment which hopefully the
teachers and other experienced users will be keen to help and answer
questions and cuss at things with you...

-A

message ends.

[1]http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2018q3/013373.html

aaronco36 at sdf.org