[sf-lug] [Made from scratch]

maestro maestro415 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 01:06:14 PDT 2018

I have a box I am going to offer for use at the meeting Sunday 2018.*09*.02
to do a distro build from 'scratch' meaning 'naked' hard drive and possibly
even reflashing BIOS [winking shamelessly @ Ken S. for hopeful help doing
this].

The allotted time of a meeting will not be enough for a full memtest/check
sooo...that will not be happening.

Online guides will be welcomed as the distro of choice has badass wikis and
documentation and you will learn how to use them and find answers without
anyone talking down to you or trolling you...
The distro will be Archlinux32 which is a community 'migration' since the
main Arch Linux has thrown 32bit versions away. Don't panic, if you don't
know what the hell that means you'll see when you attend...

I have done a build from 'scratch' already so I know the iso is good and
the repositories are actively kept fresh [U.S. that is can't/won't speak
for the others]

This building of a distro is especially good for newer users and those
wanting to improve their command line [that's what you type in the terminal
when someone asks you to open one ;-)) ] in a friendly NON-judgemental.
NON-narcissistic, environment which hopefully the teachers and other
experienced users will be keen to help and answer questions and cuss at
things with you...

The command line will be used for the whole build [you won't have pretty
pictures yet but will bring them to life] and it's a 15" [I think?] display
so with the font made large enough many will be able to see and if there is
enough interest folks may take turns 'driving' for different stages...

'IF' this sounds interesting to you and you are keen to learn more Linux,
learn about Arch Linux and see the differences to Debian based distros, and
not feel intimidated by tech or 'some' of  its minions and create something
kewl please respond to this thread as should no one express interest I wont
bring the box to do it.

Should this go forward we will do a debian based distro from 'scratch'
next...

It's all up to YOU...

Let me know...

'maestro'

message ends.

--

*~the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...*