[sf-lug] [Made from scratch]

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 29 02:21:26 PDT 2018

Submitted for your consideration:
Debian[1] still supports 32-bit ("i386")[2]
and appears to have no plans (at least thus far as I'm aware)
to drop that architecture.

Debian also supports more architectures than any other Linux distro,
and more Linux distros are either Debian or based upon Debian, than
any other distro.  Debian also has a very large number of quite well
supported packages.  Debian is also of excellent quality - and has
quite the solid track record.

One of the criteria I look at when selecting/recommending distributions,
is installed base (how many users/systems using it), support,
and track record.  The further one goes out there with smaller installed
base, less or poorer support, poor and/or short track record, the more
likely one is to have issues/problems now and/or somewhat further down
the road.

My own bittorrent data also shows the Debian 32 bit images continue to be
pretty popular:

| Filename                                          Size   Download
  Upload |
| debian-8.11.0-amd64-CD-1.iso                  627.0  M   0    B/s
0    B/s |
| ^---  download succeeded!                                0.0  M
74.9  M   |
| debian-8.11.0-amd64-i386-netinst.iso          564.0  M   0    B/s
0    B/s |
| ^---  download succeeded!                                0.0  M
20.5  M   |
| debian-8.11.0-i386-CD-1.iso                   639.0  M   0    B/s
0    B/s |
| ^---  download succeeded!                                0.0  M
176.6  M   |
| debian-9.5.0-amd64-i386-netinst.iso           628.0  M   0    B/s
0    B/s |
| ^---  download succeeded!                                0.0  M
1.1  G   |
| debian-9.5.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso              640.0  M   0    B/s
0    B/s |
| ^---  download succeeded!                                0.0  M
997.2  M   |
| debian-9.5.0-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso               641.0  M   0    B/s
0    B/s |
| ^---  download succeeded!                                0.0  M
1.6  G   |

|                                                Totals:   0    B/s
0    B/s |
|                                                          0.0  M
3.9  G   |
| New torrent: debian-8.11.0-amd64-CD-1.iso.torrent

Footnotes/references/excerpts:
1. https://www.debian.org/
2. https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/i386/ch02s01.html.en#idm272
https://www.archlinux.org/news/the-end-of-i686-support/