[sf-lug] New Linux Pro out Plus Re: SF-LUG meets Monday, 20 August 2018

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Thu Aug 16 09:34:48 PDT 2018

        Wednesday August 15 I managed to get a copy of
         Linux Pro magazine for August 2018 Issue 213 at
the Fog City News  between First and Fremont
streets on the South side of Market.
         Distributions on the DVD are both 64 bit,
         Manjaro XFCE 17.1.10 and Fedora 28.
         Cover (and good deal of the interior) is taken up
discussing Mapping Tools [which you hse] Create and Edit
with QGIS and QMapShack.  Also I saw a reference
in the interior to the printing out of maps so you can
take a paper map along.
     Discussion of 4 Open Source Microblogging Tools.
     Kubuntu 18.04 Up Close Exploring the New Release
     9 Handpicked Pi Projects in MakerSpace.
     Odroid-C2 a single-board computer which is twice
as fast as the competition [and about $11 more expensive.]
     Caddy an HTTPS server out of the box.
     Ogg Vorbis a Free format for Audio Files.
     A Python Script that solves a Chinese ring puzzle.
     Linux Voice:
     maddog - Adding Hardware to FOSS a discussion of the RISC V chip.
     Local Music streaming with Cantata
     Gnome Recipes - Organize your recipe collection.
     FOSSPicks:
     Gimp 2.10
     cointop - cryptocurrency tracker
     Font Finder - online font search
     WireGuard - we all should be using Virtual Private Networks/
     progress - a task monitor
     Mixx 3.1 - DJ software
     rofipass - another way of having passwords at hand.
     VVave - a music player
     SoundStage VR a virtual studio.

     Tutorials:
     odfgrep searchs ODF files
     Kdelive and ImageMagick to make animation less tedious and create
Video Effects.

     Besides last weeks new we have an interview with Gnome Foundations
     President, an announcement of SoftMakers FreeOffice 2018 for Linux.
     It has been determined that the speakers in your laptop/notebook
     can crash your hard drive so plug in the earphones or external
speakers.
     In Zack's Kernel News we can read about removing dead ports;
     That the New Minimum GGC version has jumped from 3.2 to 4.8;
     That Intel is considering hardware  changes to mitigate security
flaws [Huzzah];
     That Asymmetric process migration is being improved;
     and that the kernel coders are worrying about Protecting
     Users System Control.  This relates to disabling Secure
Boot on UEFI systems which Linus points out can be hard
to do.  Some think that Users(i.e. you and I) must be defended
against installation of kernels that might no be what the maker
planned for.

And Zorin 12.4 has been downloaded and check-summed
in Lite and Educational versions
     Should be on disk by the Time of the meeting.

     Bobbie Sellers