[sf-lug] Xsane can't see an HP Laserjet 1536dnf MFP scanner / printer

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Tue Jul 31 08:45:17 PDT 2018

On 07/31/2018 06:54 AM, Alex Kleider wrote:
> On 2018-07-31 00:13, Rick Moen wrote:
>> Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> It turns out that the problem was a proprietary driver.
>
> Why do we never see "Easily usable on a Linux system" on any consumer
> product such as a printer?  Is it simply because there aren't enough
> of us?

     I have seen things like "Windows, MacOS, Linux" as compatible OSes
to run a product.

     Sometimes things that are compatible are not easy to use on Linux.
     Never a disk with Linux drivers have I seen for printers, plenty
for Windows and MacOS.
     My Epson NX515 - printer/scanner/copier is such a device.
Originally there were no
drivers in Linux and one had to download the separately maintained Linux
drivers, install
by hand(well I used Dolphin and terminal) to get the scanner working in
an unreliable
fashion.  A few years on the Linux parts are all there and even have an
Epson printer gui
to read the ink levels. The only problem is with the built-in camera
which the scanner
software reads as another scanner.

> Is there a printer company that does routinely provide open source
> drivers for CUPS/linux?
>
> (I've certainly had my frustrations with Canon and with Xerox
> printers- trying to get what I needed downloaded and then installed to
> work properly.)

     A lot of models can be frustrating to work with, for someone who
needs the printer
to do real work it must be maddening.  Printer/scanner problems are
often subjects
in forums and in Usenet newsgroups.

     bliss