[sf-lug] distro for an ageing laptop

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Mar 25 19:14:29 PDT 2017

Quoting Akkana Peck (akkana at shallowsky.com):

> Any idea what the disadvantages are?

It sounded like there was a lot of backstory to which I wasn't privy,
but (1) apparently a _whole_ lot changes between major gtk revisions
(and sometimes also minor ones), e.g., all gtk2 themes broke in gtk3,
and (2) gtk developers give hostile and dismissive answers to queries
and bugs from other DE efforts outside GNOME.

Not entirely the same thing but displaying the attitude was the
most-quoted bit by GNOME developer William Jon McCann, when he opened a
bug on non-GNOME BitTorrent client Transmission asking that its panel
notification feature be removed because GNOME3 no longer supports a
panel.  The Transmission developer replied that surely this would hurt
XFCE users, and McCann said 'I guess you have to decide if you are a
GNOME app, an Ubuntu app, or an Xfce app unfortunately... And I have no
idea what Xfce is or does, sorry.  It is my hope that you are a GNOME
app.'  (It would be surprising if a core GNOME developer truly doesn't
know what XFCE is.)