[sf-lug] distro for an ageing laptop

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Sat Mar 25 19:45:03 PDT 2017

On 2017-03-25 11:09, Rick Moen wrote:

> I'm actually a bit mystified about what problem you encountered.  You
> said only 'The current version of Ubuntu no longer runs on it', but did
> not elaborate.  What's the obstacle?

Seems to be an inappropriate kernel problem.  Here's what's reported
when using each of two ISOs already in my possession:

ubuntu-14.04.4-desktop-i386.iso  =>

WARNING: PAE disabled. Use parameter 'forcepae' to enable at your own
risk!
This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU:
pae
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

ubuntu-16.04-desktop-amd64.iso  =>

This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU.
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

This is the one I plan to try next:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/16.04/release/lubuntu-16.04.2-desktop-i386.iso