[sf-lug] distro for an ageing laptop

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sat Mar 25 13:33:44 PDT 2017

Rick Moen writes:
> LXDE as people know it is going away, however.
>
> The developers found that the gtk3 graphics toolkit has excessive
> disadvantages going forward, and therefore made the decision to bail and

Any idea what the disadvantages are?

I know I'm re-examining GUI toolkits for Python lately, worrying
about compatibility issues what with the pygtk bindings going away
in Python3 in favor of using GTK3 and gobject introspection bindings.
Can't say I'm thrilled with any of the options. But if there are
other disadvantages of GTK3, that would be a factor. Googling
lxde gtk3 or lxde gtk3 disadvantages isn't finding anything that
looks relevant, mostly just people asking about themes.
The lxde Wikipedia page points to
https://blog.lxde.org/2013/03/26/pcmanfm-qt-0-1-0-released/
but all that really says is that GTK3 is no longer lighter weight
than Qt -- interesting if true, but it doesn't quote any numbers.

        ...Akkana