[sf-lug] computer work at a public school this Saturday

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 13:29:54 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Jeff Bragg (jackofnotrades at gmail.com):
>
> > I believe you are missing Rick's point, which is not about whether or not
> > public or private schools are a good thing, but rather about whether or
> not
> > the school Christian refers to is in fact a public school.  Rick's point,
> > if I understand correctly, is that the school in question is not
> actually a
> > public school.
>

> Regardless of one's view, Christian's repeated misrepresentation of fact

Rick and I have a difference of opinion.  Neither Rick nor I have
misrepresented a fact.  All the facts that I stated are true.  Any child in
California can attend any KIPP school for free.  If KIPP is not public, who
is paying for that child's tuition?  Answer:  taxes, just like all other
public schools.  Rick is not disputing that any child can attend KIPP for
free.

Rick, are you saying that KIPP is a private school?  If KIPP and Creative
Arts Charter School (CACS) are private schools, how can they stay in
business if they don't charge tuition?

That is why I say there is a mere difference of opinion here.  An opinion
is a conclusion drawn from facts.  The fact is that KIPP is funded by
taxes; the fact is that the kids attend for free; but the KIPP
administrators and cannot be fired by the SFUSD.  Instead, SFUSD must prove
that there are grounds to revoke the KIPP charter.  Grounds normally
include poor performance.  Based on these facts, Rick *opines* that KIPP is
private.  I am *opining* that KIPP is public.  There are no
misrepresentation of facts here; but a difference of how we are
interpreting agreed upon facts.

In either case, we will be installing Linux computers there this Saturday,
at O'Farrell and Pierce, from 1 pm to 4 pm.  Call me at 415-351-1300 so
that I can let you into the school when you arrive.